Friday, February 25, 2011

Yüksek Sadakat will "Live it Up" in Düsseldorf!

After two months of waiting, TRT has finally released their highly anticipated song for Eurovision: "Live it Up" by rock band Yüksek Sadakat (High Fidelity).  The name of the band was released back in late December, with mixed reactions coming from Eurovison fans everywhere.  Some people were thrilled to see the continuation of the strong tradition of Rock from the Turks, who had sent impressive entries in the genre back in 2004, 2008, and 2010.  Others were disappointed to see a lack of hip-shaking pop, and still others were confused about why TRT picked a band that was well-known, but not quite as monstrously high-profile as maNga.

After a half-hour question-and-answer session aired live on TRT's music station and broadcast through Eurovison.tv's live stream, we finally have some clarity on what the Turks are going to be serving up.

"Live it Up" is, as its title suggests, an upbeat song with a message: let loose and party!  In that way, it's not too dissimilar to Athena's "For Real" from a few years back.  Only instead of the ska vibe we got from Athena, Yüksek Sadakat's going for more standard, straightforward rock.  The lyrics might be a bit simple, but the song is a lot of fun, and I definitely expect it to survive the semifinals (especially considering that brothers-in-arms Azerbaijan are in the same semi).  Does it make as much of an instant impact as "We Could Be the Same"?  I'm not sure.  But with time, I'm cautiously optimistic that "Live it Up"'s popularity will grow, as it does for most Turkish entries.

5 comments:

  1. I love your blog Samantha. Although, you do keep it non-controversial. Is there a song you don't like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I generally like to report first, then form an opinion later...I try to be as diplomatic as possible! ;-) Also, I realize that a lot of these songs are going to be revamped, translated, and turned upside down before we see their final versions (I have a feeling that Albania is going to be completely unrecognizable, for example!)

    There are a few songs I dislike in their current state, but I want to keep those under wraps for now, so that I seem at least somewhat impartial. Also, there's a chance that I'll be meeting some of the artists in Germany, so I don't want any negative comments coming back around and biting me! ;-) I may do a ranking once all of the songs are released, so you can probably guess my opinions from that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have listened a couple of times, and I still cannot remember it. Surprisingly forgettable, I am afraid. As I listen, I think I will remember, but then I do not! Why is it so?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly! When our beloved Sam here becomes the "Anna Wintour" of Eurovision, then she has time to be controversial, and scathing!

    Now I have listened enough to remember it. It still sounds bland in my mind, especially when I am not listening to it. The violins lift it up a little bit from being super-boring, and that could even be the difference between qualifying for the Final and not, as much as I hate to say it, but for me, it is not enough. And I know I should never expect any Farmerian topics from a country like Turkey, but couldn't the topic/lyrics be just a little more sophisticated?

    "But with time, I'm cautiously optimistic that "Live it Up"'s popularity will grow..."

    I could have sworn that was phrased a bit differently earlier! You are not letting me sway you, are you? (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HA! I'm not nearly enough of a diva to come CLOSE to Wintourian proportions! If I meet any of you in Düsseldorf, you'll see what I mean! (Although I really wouldn't mind raiding her closet every once in a while...a lot of the fun of planning for my ESC trip is figuring out what to wear...)

    Anyway, another few reasons why I don't like to come out and be completely negative about an entry, even if I really dislike it are:
    1) I know that every song has its fans (take a look at Lithuania this year...or last year, for that matter!). *Somebody* out there chose that song as their favorite, or else it wouldn't be going to the ESC. I have to respect that.
    2) Many songs that I hated this time last year have grown on me with time! I couldn't stand "Sha-La-Lie" when it came out, but now I can't help but smile when I hear it.
    3) Every song has its positives, and I try to focus on that. An entry might have terrible lyrics, but the singer could be fabulous. It might be old-fashioned, but maybe the arrangement is beautiful! You have to take the good with the bad.

    So, please pardon me for being Miss Merry Sunshine...people in Minnesota are famous for being nice at all costs! ;-) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_nice

    ReplyDelete

(Please consider putting your name on your comments; just look on the drop-down menu and click on "Name/URL".)

Free Hit Counter