Thursday, March 10, 2011

Dana International returns for Israel!

Hold on to your hats, people...the Diva is coming back!  The Kdam, Israel's national selection, was held this Tuesday, and the competition was pretty fierce.  However, it might be physically impossible to "out-fierce" Dana International, who won Eurovision back in 1998.  As I mentioned in my post about Israel last year, Dana is possibly the world's most famous male-to-female transsexual, and her career has extended far beyond her Eurovision experience.  She has released 8 albums, a few "best-of" collections, and was even one of the judges on Kokhav Nolad, the Israeli version of the "Idol" franchise, for two seasons.

Going up against nine other songs, Dana's song "Ding Dong" won the ticket to Germany:


This will actually be Dana's third trip to Eurovision, as she was the author of Boaz Mauda's 2008 entry "Ke'ilu Kan".  I have an immense amount of respect for Dana, not only as a former Eurovision champion, but also for having come through the personal struggles that faced her as she made her physical transition.  That being said, I don't think that "Ding Dong" makes as much of an impact as "Diva" or "Ke'ilu Kan" did back in 1998 and 2008.  The song is fun, and she will definitely garner votes for simply being the ESC legend that she is , but I don't think that Dana International will become the next Johnny Logan (the only two-time winning singer in Eurovision history).

(As for the other songs in the Kdam, my personal favorite was the folksy, yet funky "Tu Du Du", by Michael & Shimrit Greilsummer!)

2 comments:

  1. That Tu Du Du song is in French! Chouette; ça me plait!

    As for Ding Dong: I do actually like the name of the song. It is a name that is universally understood, it signifies the strike of inspiration that supposedly begot this song, and it is non-pretentious.

    I did expect something more impactful, though. I really hope Dana knows what she is doing. She seems to have proven that she does back in 2008, but right now, Ding Dong has gotten many negative reviews.

    Other returning successful artists in the past, like Charlotte Perrelli, Chiara, and Niamh Kavanagh have all made the Final, but have not scored impressive results in the latest contests, and it is tempting to think that Dana would follow suit.

    Will the song be revamped? If so, I am hoping for richer mixing that makes the details pop in all the right ways.

    Even then, I do not think Dana will win the contest for a second time, at least this time, since I still believe Bosnia and Herzegovina will win.

    -Finland

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure that Dana will revamp the song before Düsseldorf.

    As for my predictions, I'm going to refrain from making any until I hear the last updates and translations...plus, there's a big difference between "Sam's Favorites" and "Most Likely to Win"...I only need two words to illustrate that point: "Malcolm" and "Lincoln"!

    ReplyDelete

(Please consider putting your name on your comments; just look on the drop-down menu and click on "Name/URL".)

Free Hit Counter