Monday, September 19, 2011

Eurovision 2011: The Best of the Rest (Part 5)

(Pardon the brief hiatus...I just started a new job, and I took a quick trip out to New York to see some family and friends. But now I'm back in full force!)

Lithuania: Evelina Sašenko shocked quite a few people when her dramatic ballad "C'est Ma Vie" qualified for the Finals.  (You could have heard a pin drop in the arena when the Lithuanian flag emerged from its little digital envelope the night of its Semifinal!)  Without a doubt, this was one of the true surprises of the 2011 Contest. 

There were a few other songs from Lithuania that I was hoping to see in Düsseldorf, with some being more guilty pleasures than others.  Donny Montell (real name: Donatas Montvydas) has tried many times over the past few years to represent his home nation, and he even had two entries in the National Final this year (including a duet with 2009 representative Sasha Song).  Donny's solo entry this year, "Let Me", came in 5th place this year, despite his attempted channeling of Justin Timberlake:


For fans of sweet throwback entries (like Serbia's "Čaroban"), Liepa Mondeikaitė's breezy "Laukiu (I'm Looking Forward)" might have done the trick.  This sixth-place finisher was the only song in the finals sung in Lithuanian (and I might be the only one who see this, but I think Kim Cattrall might have a doppelganger in Vilnius...)


(FYR) Macedonia: I had a bit of difficulty following Skopje Fest this year, partially due to a rough connection to the show's stream, and partially because the show was interminably long and drawn-out.  When Vlatko Ilievski's "Rusinka" took the crown, I basically shrugged my shoulders and turned to the Slovene selection, which was wrapping up at about the same time.  

That being said, there were two other songs that stayed with me after the Macedonian National Final, but for two completely different reasons.  This year's runner-up was Martin Srbinovski's "Ram Tam Tam", a danceable, folk-tinged rock number that I immediately fell in love with: 



On the other side of the equation, however, was the nul-pointer Rok Agresori's "Kukuriku", which defies all explanation:

Now that I've completely destroyed your faith in humanity, let's move on to: 


Malta: Even if you weren't a fan of Glen Vella's "One Life", it was impossible not to get swept up in his absolutely infectious energy.  Whether it was him belting out gospel numbers during his press conference, living it up in the Euroclub every night, or his near-constant smile, even when he failed to qualify for the final by the razor-thin margin of a single point.  It had been Glen's dream to sing at Eurovision, and his enthusiasm and sheer glee was impossible to resist!


The Maltese national selection was a family affair; runner-up Richard Edwards (here's his "Finally") and eighth-place Wayne Micallef ("Everybody Sing") are brothers, and two-time Eurovision participant Fabrizio Faniello ("No Surrender") went up against his little sister Claudia ("Movie in My Mind").  (Fabrizio came in 4th, Claudia in 9th.)  My personal favorite, however, was the big-voiced ballad "If I Could Do It All Again" by Raquela, a song I could easily imagine over the ending credits of some big-budget Hollywood flick:

This 5th-place finisher could have gone toe-to-toe with Austria's Nadine Beiler or Slovenia's Maja Keuc...maybe next year!


Moldova: I've said it before, and I'll probably say it again next year: I love Moldova.  They come to the Eurovision Party every year with the intention of having a fabulous time and they generally succeed.  Whether they're bringing someone's grandmother, a big comfy sofa, an epic sax, or a unicycle-riding, kushma-wearing fairytale princess (as in the case of this year's "So Lucky" by Zdob şi Zdub), you can't forget them, even if you try.


Keeping in line with the manic, madcap, and exuberant style we're used to seeing from the Moldovans over the past few years, my favorite selection from 2011 was Doiniţa Gherman's "Viaţa (Life)", an energetic turbofolk number that is basically in line with her National Final submissions from 2009 (Hei! Exploadează!) and 2010 ("Meloterapia").



Next up: the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, and Portugal!

5 comments:

  1. I loved Liepa in Lithuania. I really wanted her to win. I still have her song on my playlist. Other than that, I didn't really watch the other pre-selections. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once you listen back to the broadcast version of SF1, and you hear Lithuania actually singing after the white noise of the previous umpteen entries, it becomes a lot clearer why she qualified. And there is still something about that song - I loved it once, in the Grand Final first dress rehearsal, remember?

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW can't wait to hear what you'll come up with for Norway, I reckon there are another three strong and one borderline case from that set of National Finals...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ewan: Of course I remember the shocked look of recognition on both of our faces that "holy crap...this song is actually good!" I even remember thinking "She'll split the Vassili supporters!".
    ...and now I have pressure on my Norway picks! I remember you had a soft spot for Babel Fish...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Samantha!!
    We missed you ;) All of these entries were new to me (and I call myself a fan!) and I'm getting more than a hint of Ruslana from Doinita Gherman! I thought there were plenty of great songs in the Moldovan final - "Mi Rey!", "Let's Jazz" and "Dorule" being my personal favourites. I was so annoyed that they wemt for So Lucky, which unfortunately, I still can't seem to find a tune in.

    Ewan (I'm a big fan of the podcast by the way ;) - I hope you're including Helene Boksle in those four Norwegian cases!! Clearly the best entry by far!!

    ReplyDelete

(Please consider putting your name on your comments; just look on the drop-down menu and click on "Name/URL".)

Free Hit Counter